Sunday, December 18, 2011

Mince Pies

With all the fruit last summer I almost ran out of recipes. So I made some plum mince meat with the plums I got from Bernard, and my own early apples. The recipe for this is in France, and anyway it is too late now. I was a little worried about my own mince meat, as the apples had to be added at the end, so it was bottled when it was not hot anymore. But it came out fine after all these months. So here is the recipe for delicious pies, courtesy of the BBC!

Mix 350 grams of flour with 225 grams of cold diced butter. Add 100 grams of brown (castor) sugar plus a pinch of salt and work with your fingers and hands until it has formed a ball. Grease 18 holes in your muffin tins and push a walnut sized ball into each of them for the base. Spoon in the mince meat (from about one jar) and cover with a flattened smaller ball to make a lid. Brush with beaten egg and bake in a 200 degree oven (180 for a hot air oven) until golden. About 20 minutes. Dust with icing sugar.

My mince meat was quite watery, but caramalized during the baking. For safety I left my pies in the tin, so now they come out whole. Not that it matters if they crumble: they are yummy!

No comments: