Monday, December 05, 2011

Swede and Potato Dauphinoise

I like swede, but it is a vegetable with a very distinct taste, for which I am not always in the mood.
So I consulted Leiths Vegetarian Bible for inspiration.
As always I adjusted the recipe!

Fry a sliced onion in oil. Add a crushed garlic clove and some paprika at the end.
On a mandolin slice a peeled piece of swede (a whole one may turn out to be too much), and a few russet potatoes.
Mix half a cup of milk with half a cup of cream.
Mix in the vegetables with salt, pepper, grated nutmeg, and the fried onions.
Turn into a greased oven-proof dish and bake covered at 180 degrees for about an hour.
Take off the cover, and either sprinkle some more paprika on top, or a few handfulls of left-over grated cheese, and brown uncovered for another half hour, or as long as is needed.
Serve piping hot with a fresh green salad.

Note: my thyme and rosemary have died. Otherwise I would have left out the paprika and mixed in some herbs.

A real comforter!

No comments: