Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Minestrone Soup

I was not in the mood for the small pumpkin that was waiting in the vegetable tray, and P. hadn't liked my Brussels sprouts concoction, so I could not make them the main charaters in my next meal. The fridge held some more left over veggies which I turned into a delicious minestrone.

Fry in olive oil what left over vegetable you have, chopped. For me it was leek, carrots and Brussels sprouts (!) and a peeled potato in chunks. But onions, mushrooms, broccoli etc. would do as well. Add some water and a stock cube, if you like, but salt and bay leaf, parsley, celery, sage etc. would even be better. Add a can of chopped tomatoes. This is allowed in winter. In summer I believe the tomatoes should be fresh. Add some macaroni if you have it, or a can of borlotti or other white beans.

Simmer until soft.

Check for salt and pepper. Serve with grated cheese.

No comments: